Monday, September 7, 2015

Northern Exposure

Northern Exposure:  an 80s TV show I think I've seen a few episodes of (cultural references become harder to make when you've been out for 10 months...) I think it's about Alaska.

We've had a pretty good week. I feel like we're talking to more people, though not a lot of them want to learn more, and we're still struggling to find new investigators. The pautas (mission goals) have ever felt so out-of-reach, and it's a little bit daunting. There's a lot of roadblocks. I have to do an intercambio [exchange] once a week to keep up with things, I feel like I still don't know my area, and contacting/passing by antiguos [old investigators] isn't yielding much success, so things are hard in that way. But we keep pushing forward. This week we plan on working more with members, being exactly obedient, and setting personal contacting goals. So I hope that helps.
"Beauty and the Beast" moment:  So we passed by this little store with a bunch of books out front and I asked if we could wander in . . . BEST IDEA EVER.  It's so cool, I don't even care that they're all in Spanish. 
John Adams. Apparently, all you have to do is compliment the Basque culture and BOOM.  Statue in Spain.
I went on an intercambio with Hermana Schmidt, which was a fun treat since we were in Barcelona together hace poco [recently]. She's such a great, obedient, and dedicated missionary. It was a pleasure working with her again. It's an hour and a half bus ride to Santander, and although I had planned to do some reading and language study on the way, I found myself staring awe-struck out the window through most of the trip as rolling green hills, beaches, and the Spanish countryside passed by. The north sure is beautiful.
In their cute Santander piso that could fit a family of 7...


And it's another thing, too. Cold. And rainy. And technically, it's still summer. We'll have to be strong to face what winter will bring (winter is coming).

And that's something I've been studying lately. Strength. My whole mission, people have told me that I'm strong. It's written in almost every page of my transfer journal and it's the reputation that preceded me here. But most of the time, I just don't feel like it, or see how that can be true.

So I studied strength in the topical guide, and you know what I found? Strength is something you receive from God, and it's something you have to ask for. It's not something you just have. It comes with humility and a willingness to do His will, whatever it may be.

In the strength of the Lord, I can do all things.

And I can face this winter.

The cold never bothered me anyway.

;)
This is with Hermana Wiseman, previous companion, from back in June when they sang "Let it Go" for the ward talent show in Barcelona . . . Inserted here for the Disney reference.  And because they're so cute.

Have a great week.

Hermana Een

We also talked with a Norweigian man named "Life." That was pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment