Monday, October 26, 2015

First Impressions

Impressions- in Spanish, you call them susurros or spiritual promptings. Having the distinct idea or thought to DO something specific. Learning to recognize and heed them is key to successful missionary work. "First Impressions" is also the original title of the book we know and love as "Pride and Prejudice."

This has been a good week. I actually don't have a ton of time and I'm in a Locotorio [public computer] again (out of necessity) so please forgive the spelling errors (and mom, please correct them before posting to the blog. Love you.) So let’s just go over a couple of updates.
Hermanas Jorgenson, Schmidt, Een, Randall


Palacio de la Magdalena, Santander

And the lighthouse!

Intercambios [exchanges]. We did two back-to-back. It gets complicated. It gets fun. One was with Hermana Jorgenson (started her mission with me in Valencia, one transfer behind, went home for medical reasons, and recently returned. Glad to have her back!) and she wanted to work on Spanish so I made a conscious effort to talk less. It grew her confidence, we taught better, and I think it's something I need to have in mind better for MY companionship as well. She's super sweet, we got lost a little bit, extended two baptismal invitations (just go for it) and ran home.


Hermana Villeta is a true Shiblon -like soul. Bless her. We mostly contacted (I almost burned myself out) but we saw a lot of miracles and found some good news and potentials that will really help out her area. She was so humble and just wanted to learn and grow. Another great intercambio.
Halloween treats in Bilbao

On Sunday we had another cita [appointment] with Manuela. Normally after teaching the Resoration we would go into the second lesson but we decided to clarify the Godhead and teach her how to pray. And it was inspired. It was exactly what she needed. One thing led easily to another and I know that although we did our best, it was the Spirit, working with our willing hearts, guiding that lesson.

Three other occasions this week I've had distinct impressions (that I recognized as such) to talk to people. One was across the street and she was on the phone (almost didn't do that one... but we gave her a card), one on the last contact of the night (a sweet spiritual experience) and again with a lady who wasn't very interested outside of a bar. But after the prayer, she teared up and asked if she could give us a beso [kiss/greeting].
Funny how on the mission, that's an amazing thing.
Autumn leaves in Bilbao, Spain
There's an EFY song I want to close with.

SOMEONE HE CAN COUNT ON
I feel something inside me, like I finally found my way.
I know  . . My savior loves me, and I wanna show him I feel the same.
So I’ll go wherever he may lead, be the person that I wanna be,
 and try to never let him down again.
I wanna be someone, someone he can count on.  
I wanna be someone who can take on anything.
I wanna stand up, be what I was made for.
I wanna make it so it’s easy to see that he can count on someone like me.
I’m changed.  My heart is growing, and I’m becoming more like him.
I can’t think of anything more sweet than to follow where the spirit leads, 
Be the answer to someone else’s prayer.
I wanna be someone, someone he can count on.
I wanna be someone who can take on anything.
I wanna stand up, be what I was made for.
I wanna make it so it’s easy to see that he can count on someone like me.
He will give me strength when I need it, so I can be what he wants me to be.
Someone, someone he can count on.
I wanna be someone who can take on anything.

I love you all. Have a great week.
The two lighthouses.

No comments:

Post a Comment