Monday, October 19, 2015

Filled with Mercy (oncoming storm)

Mercy: compassion or forgiveness shown to someone whom it is within ones power to punish or harm (don't argue with the dictionary)
Oncoming storm: a Doctor Who reference I might have already made... So I used the other title just in case. ;)

On Tuesday we had interviews with President, which means it's been about 3 months since our last ones, which takes me to a trip down memory lane, how our interviews were 2 days after we found out that Eduardo died. Going into that interview I was calm and collected. I told his story, and I didn't cry. A lot can change in three months. Walking into the chapel, there was a letter from Edy (who I taught in Barcelona and was baptized the next weekend). It was pure and beautiful, maybe the best letter I've ever received. And boy, it sure tipped my emotional scale and I just cried right on through the interview. My time here in Bilbao sure is a stark contrast to what I saw in Barce. I received comfort and counsel and the challenge to find joy in every day (which until that moment, I hadn't quite realized that I hadn't been doing). That night we had a cita [appointment] to rescue a recent convert [Darwin], and ran home (adrenaline boosting into a great week).

Wednesday: A great English class (I learned I really love teaching it, and tying everything together in a neat little bow, making the spiritual thought connect to the vocab we learn.... Nothing better.) we went out on a limb and ended up giving out 3 Book of Mormons. (Insert 'Best Two Years' debate) Thursday: Rediscovering the importance of member presents [at lessons]. We've been struggling since we got here, because I've been trying to do it my way, thinking I was strong enough on my own. I learned the hard way that this is His work, and it must be done His way, and that is through the members. Yuliberth and Yulieth dragged us around our area. We gave out two more BOMs and found a new part member family to teach.

There comes a point in every area where everything makes sense. The names from the area book and the faces of the members and the stories you've heard all start to blend and weave together, and you finally start to understand. Part of what made this week so great is that I feel like we reached that point.

There's an investigator named Manuela. And she's wonderful. She loves us, and has a real desire to understand and learn for herself. She loves God and knows that the has helped her much throughout her life. She calls us her Angels, and cried when we gave her a Book of Mormon with a little dedication in the front. And she helps make everything seem worth it.

I got the quilt block with the whales in the mail--actually a little before--the picture of her with it.
To be honest, I may have spent too much time "soaking in the hot tub of self-pity" in my time here. (Thank Hna. Randall for that imagery) and now that I've stepped out a bit, things are looking a lot brighter. I've been watching the darkening clouds and dreading the oncoming storm.

There is a Mormon message that quotes a hymn. I was sure it wasn't in our hymn book because the words were unfamiliar. But it turns out that it is.
The tune leaves room for improvement, so I guess it isn't sung much, but it's been on constant repeat in my heart since the day I discovered it. (For the music-minded folk, you can also put the words to the tunes of other well-loved hymns for better usability.)

hymn number 285
God moves in a mysterious way, His wonders to perform;
He plants his footsteps in the sea, And rides upon the storm.
Ye fearful Saints, fresh courage take; The clouds ye so much dread
Are big with mercy and shall break In blessings on your head.
His purposes will ripen fast, Unfolding ev’ry hour;
The bud may have a bitter taste, But sweet will be the flower.
Blind unbelief is sure to err, And scan his works in vain;
God is his own interpreter, And he will make it plain.

Have a great week. You are in my thoughts and prayers (but not all that often, because I'm not trunkie yet. ;) )
Hermana Een


No comments:

Post a Comment