Monday, June 27, 2016

Backyards

Once you find one excuse not to go to the singles ward, suddenly there's an excuse for almost every week. (it's Father's day, my Sister/cousin is performing in church, we're out of town for a homecoming/farewell, etc.) They probably think I'm inactive. Anyway, We went to the home ward sacrament meeting and then back to the YSA Sunday school/RS. As we got in there I realized the topic was Alma 5 and couldn't wipe the grin off my face. My sister says that I love Alma more than ANYONE other than possibly his wife and Amulek, and I think there could be some truth in that. ALMA 5:26 "...If you have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask CAN YOU FEEL SO NOW?" I just want to ask everyone, shout it from the rooftops, put it on a billboard, paint it on a wall, EVERYTHING. It needs to be read, said, and repeated.

I watched a "chick-flick" in theaters for the first time in forever with my sister and a couple other girls. It was a guaranteed "tear-jerker" but I left the theater with dry eyes. So I'm still heartless, and I blame my knowledge of the Plan of Salvation for my complete disregard for the supposed sadness of death. I'm part of the fearless tearless
...until someone reads a "Chicken soup for the soul" or sings a song about worth and value of a soul or bears their testimony, then I'm a gonner. The mission makes you weird(er).
I also donated blood and compared missions to a high school friend who just got back.

I've been going to the temple every week (such a blessing!) Unfortunately, I've see the sort-of unfolding of a favorite Doctor Who quote "Make all of time and space your backyard, and what've you got? A backyard." Basically, because I was used to doing it, I slipped up and forgot how special it was, started zoning out a bit... until I caught myself falling asleep and snapped out of it. I had to do something, so I started looking at it a different way, reading in between the lines and gestures interpreting old, familiar things in a new and exciting way. And after the session we had a gospel geek session in the celestial room for 15 minutes. It was the most exciting and energizing and spiritual time I've had since the first time I went through. And I learned a lot: What is old and commonplace can be new again if we look through different eyes; God knows our hearts; there is always ALWAYS more to learn of what you know.

At some point we'll all have to face it: you all are in the final steps of this wonderful journey. These miraculous and life-changing experiences have been your metaphorical "backyard" for a long time now. Don't let that make you miss SEEING them.
I had a friend over who served a mission around the same time as I did. We talked of this and that, one thing leading to another and I brought up one of my "Hermana Een Theories" about "versions of Heaven." [Basically how we all say 'it wouldn't be heaven without so-and-so' and we build up our own groups of who we would like to hang around with for eternity. Unfortunately we're not perfect so there's always someone who -whether we admit it or not- we'd rather not have in our "version of heaven." The take-away point is that there is NO ONE who doesn't fit into GOD's "version of heaven."] Well, the conversation died down and she had to go home, but a few minutes later, my brother who I thought was completely absorbed in his computer game, turned to me and said "I like your theory." I smiled and asked, "Which one?" he thought for a moment and then said, "All of them."
I know that I gained a unique perspective of a LOT of things on the mission. It really IS 10 years of experience and knowledge crammed into 18-24 months! Don't forget to share it when you can. Don't loose it. They truly are treasures. You will come home a different/better person, don't forget that appropriately sharing what you did, what you learned, and what it meant to you can CHANGE the lives of others. You are a living testimony that the gospel is true and the work is so very WORTH it.

A vencer, amigas!
I'm praying for you all, so keep up the good work!
-Hermana Alayna Een

*Facebook posts you might want to know*
A vencer, amigas!
I'm praying for you all, so keep up the good work!
-Hermana Alayna Een

No comments:

Post a Comment