Monday, July 13, 2015

Time and Season

1. To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:  A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again. (Ecclesiastes 3:1,2,20. Yes, apparently it is possible to find something good in the Old Testment. ;) )

Time- just like a missionary's bank account at the end of the month, you never know how much you have. Sometimes it drags on, sometimes it flashes by. You savor the precious moments and somehow forget the bad ones. It's a blessing

Seasons- well, it's summer here in Barcelona, which means that our faces aren't just shining with the spirit, it's with sweat, too.

I'll explain the slightly morbid start más adelante [later], so buckle up.

This past Tuesday we had the fantastic opportunity to take out two new sister missionaries on their FIRST night. Perks of living in Barce. I went out with a sweet Peruvian girl (Hermana Zavala), and Hermana Wiseman went out with Hermana Eyring (yes, the granddaughter of the First Counselor of the First Presidency, no pressure). It was fun to capture the spirit of the newbies and show them what mission life is like. We taught a couple of lessons, went to a ward party, and got home a little late, but happy.

The piso [apartment] was full of people; two new girls (Hermanas Eyring and Zavala), me and my companion, and two hermanas (Lee and Stott) who will be training this transfer. It was just so much FUN, talking and getting to know each other and joy in the excitement of this great work.

And then we got a phone call. Hermana Wiseman ran to answer it and a few minutes later appeared in the doorway again, sobbing. She called my name, and we went into another room.

A woman named Florentina called.

Eduardo is dead.

She found him that morning. It was a heart attack.

3 days after his baptism.

We read a scripture, and I held her as she cried. When we went back out, the whole room seemed to change temperature.The six of us missionaries sat together in silence, listening to Vocal Point's "Danny Boy" and then offered a group prayer.  That's a memorable first night on the mission... and we were supposed to meet with him that next morning.

To say that this week has been hard would be an understatement. I've walked the streets of Barcelona with an ache in my heart for all the plans we had that now... can never be. We didn't want to tell ANYONE.

We had to tell EVERYONE.

I've also learned SO much.

I learned that God's timing is PERFECT, and that baptism is SO important, he waited for that final saving ordinance before bringing Eduardo home.

I learned that I can be strong. I have a testimony of the plan of salvation, I have the support of my companion and my Savior, and I can get through this.

It's amazing that someone I've only known for a month (two weeks, really) could change me so deeply, could have such an impact on this Ward and the people here. But Eduardo did.

My companion and I received blessings of comfort, and I was told that God was happy with the work that I have done in my mission and with Eduardo, and that he wants ME to be happy.
So I will be. In time.

We had interviews with the new President (Dayton), and he said that I have the reputation of being a strong missionary. I told him the story of Eduardo. He said that I was blessed to be a part of this great miracle. And I know I am.

But this great miracle came with a price. I'm so grateful for Hermana Wiseman. I don't think I could have made it through this week with anyone else. She needed me, and I needed her.
God knows best. He really is the Lord of the Harvest, and I can trust in his timing.

So that was this week.

Right now, I'm ok. Tomorrow, I'll be good again. And soon after that, I'll be better because of it.

Alma 40:11 Now, concerning the state of the soul between death and the resurrection—Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life.
 12 And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow.

 "So if you've died and crossed the stream before us, we pray that angels met you on the shore, and you'll look down and gently you'll implore us to live, so we may see your smiling face once more."
[from “Danny Boy” 3rd verse.]

-Hermana Een
Las "tres angelitas"
Hermana Alayna Een, Eduardo, Hermana Schmidt, Hermana Megan Wiseman, Sunday, July 5, 2015; the day after his baptism and 2 days before his "graduation" from earth.

1 comment: