Monday, January 26, 2015

How to Train Your Greenie

Greenie: A new missionary (a word that we´re not technically supposed to use...)
Train: A fast moving vehicle...I mean, to teach and instruct.

So I know that you guys are probably wondering what it's like over here. Well... it's hard. I mean, I knew it would be. But I thought I knew my area better. I thought we had an accurate ward list. I thought I knew where people lived. It's been humbling.

My new companion is a native Spanish speaker (Whoot whoot!). Her name is Hermana Manotas (with a first name surprisingly similar to mine), she was born in Columbia, lives in a Southern Spanish Pueblo (Vuelva), is 22 years old, and has high expectations for the mission. So far all I've all been able to show her was what happens when things fall through and the harder parts of missionary work (endless contacting).

But we had a fantastic cita with a woman named Edith. We were able to share equally and really explain what she needed to know. One good meeting, one good contact, one good hour makes all the other difficult things worth it.

So... it turns out I'm somewhat of a legend now (weird) because everyone at the training meeting (before we got our companions) already knew me, my situation, everything. I have a reputation I don't deserve and a calling I'm not totally sure how to do.
Pero bueno. I will try.
I will go and do.
We're going to be SO obedient.
We're going to see miracles.

Spiritual thought:
We're singing the song "This is the Christ" (Well, in Spanish, but the same difference) in choir.
They heard His voice, a voice so mild.
It pierced them through and made their souls to quake.
They saw Him come, a man in white,
The Savior, who had suffered for their sake.
They felt the wounds in hands and side,
And each could testify:
Chorus:
This is the Christ.
This is the Christ, the holy Son of God,
Our Savior, Lord, Redeemer of mankind.
This is the Christ, the Healer of our souls,
Who ransomed us with love divine.
2. I read His words, the words He prayed
While bearing sorrow in Gethsemane.
I feel His love, the price He paid.
How many drops of blood were spilled for me?
With Saints of old in joyful cry
I too can testify:

Summary:The work is hard but worth it. My companion is as much training me as I am training her.

Love you guys!
(Not the greatest picture, but it gives you a visual.)

No comments:

Post a Comment