Monday, January 12, 2015

Even so I will boast

To boast: To speak in high praise of.  Often associated with pride.  Not always a bad thing.

This is my last week in a trio, the last week with my trainer (my "mom" in mission lingo. But I'm not out of training yet, so I'll be getting a step-mom at the next transfer). Strange. It doesn't feel like it's been that long, definitely not six weeks, but my journal is half full and my hair is longer and other little things to remind me that time is passing.

Because three is sort-of my motif of the mission thus far, I'll briefly mention the three days (and two nights) that Hermana Stilson and I spent together while Hermana Manwill went on back to back intercambios (companionship exchanges, a Sister Training Leader duty). It's daunting to be left to handle the area, the citas (appointments) and the lessons for two areas with two still-training missionaries, but somehow we pulled through (I even invited an investigator to be baptized in a lesson. A first for me out here). I know that we saw miracles and we need not worry when we go forth in faith. In His work, God will make you equal to the task.

One of the recent converts in our area just had a kidney stone removed (4 incisions and other nasty stuff) and when we went to visit her, she asked if we could clean the wound and change the dressings. ick. I thought she was kidding (she wasn't). Hermana Stilson has actually worked in a hospital and wants to be a surgeon someday, so that worked out well while squeamish little Hermana Een kept her distance. There are pictures. Oh the things we do as missionaries.

We had interviews with the mission president this week. He is such a sweet, loving, and spiritual man. Hermana Manwill said most of her interview was spent talking about her companions and told me that both she and the President Pace agree that I will be a Sister Training Leader someday and a million other great things. For now? I'm just going to worry about getting out of my OWN training. Poco a poco. But it was nice to hear about the faith they have in me and that my efforts aren't wasted.

Spiritual Thought: My last letter was a long "Come to Jesus" discourse, and it made me realize just how easy it is to speak about the gospel. Back home, when I read letters from missionaries, I always thought it was weird how they would "gush" about the work and the scriptures and their converts and about the gospel. I thought that it was just something they did when they didn't have anything else to say. Being ON a mission has changed my perspective. Instead, it's the opposite. When you realize the power and the importance of the Gospel, the other things about your daily activities pale in comparative importance.
Alma 26:12  Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.

So that pretty much sums it up. I'm a gushy missionary.  And it's actually a good thing.

Summary: Last week in a trio. Three days without a trainer this week and my companion performed surgery ;) just a day in the mission life. Mission President interviews, so far so good. I'm a Sister Training Leader in training.

Love you guys!

Hermana Een.

No comments:

Post a Comment