Monday, May 18, 2015

Singing on Short Notice

Singing- lifting one's voice in melodious phrases. Normally associated (in the mission life, anyway) with praise and edification. The Doctrine and Covenants teaches us that "the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me" so there's that as well.

Short notice- Almost unplanned, associated with "just winging it" which is ALSO something you do a lot as a missionary, despite all the time you spend planning...

This week was a bit of a rollercoaster, or in other terms, a pretty normal week in the mission.

We had Specialized Training (a big meeting where the Mission President and his wife come, the leaders teach, there's music, lessons, you're edified, and they do everything but feed you) and it was fantastic as always. We reviewed our notes from the mission conference and focused on The Restoration, teaching and really knowing it. So that was great!
There was a musical number planned, one of my favorite songs, and I had helped the violinist (who lives in my same piso [apartment] Hermana Lamereaux) practice a couple of days before. Well, long story short, the Hermana (Perkins) who was supposed to sing it ended up being sent to Barcelona for a check-up on her companion (Hermana Jorgensen)'s maybe-not-broken arm, so they needed someone to sing and someone is sort-of my middle name. (Or it could be, if I had one)
It was fun. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

My companion went on intercambios (when we trade companions for a day to learn... stuff) with the Sister Training Leader. ALL of our citas [appointments] failed, which was frustrating, but in the end we ended up being there to help and uplift a young and frustrated friend. Once again, the Lord re-arranges our schedules and we end up where we need to be.

A funny little miracle happened when again, our citas and back-ups failed (es una cosa de la mission [It is a thing of the mission]) and my companion asked "what do we do now?" I hesitated a moment and said, "Let's pass by Manolo" (An old investigator we've been trying to get in contact with). She nodded and started walking down what I thought was the wrong way, but I followed and we ended up at the house of Manuel (a less-active who's fallen off of our radar, hasn't picked up his phone, and hasn't been there the last 4 times we've passed by). We were able to LISTEN to him, get his new phone number, share a scripture, and pray. He had JUST gotten home, and left a few minutes after our visit. If we hadn't gone THEN we would have missed him again. It was like a Freudian slip of the spirit (or something like that).

This week we met up with an old investigator who wants to be baptized (Drillrissa), taught a "progressing" investigator who is fine with going to the Terrestial Kingdom (Antonio), and hit pautas [mission goals] by a prayer (literally). It was good, it was hard, there is still so much to do.

Next week is transfers (that means you won't hear from me until Tuesday, so don't freak out (Mom)). Although there's still SO much I want to do here... the odds are NOT in my favor. I feel like I need to be here for these people. But I'm learning humility, and maybe... someone else will reach them and help them in a different way.
I don't know. But I know that whatever happens, we'll go forth in faith.

"Savior, Redeemer of my Soul" (This is where Mom inserts the lyrics... or attaches a short clip for the blog. :) )









Les quiero (that means I love you)
Hermana Een

Here's a link to a complete version of "Savior, Redeemer of My Soul"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pslLsWRPaIk&list=PLEVK55xNpj5RotR-fL7_mfafMnJRDVzvg  I've been able to accompany Alayna as she sang it for her ward in Provo as well as our ward in Las Vegas.  She really loves this song and it's awesome that she gets to share it again in Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment