Monday, March 30, 2015

Super Human (space is optional)

Super- above average, great force or strength
Human- as in the excuse, "I´m only human," often associated with weakness, inability.

This week I had my first real intercambio [exchange](as in, the Sister Training Leader and I) and got to go to Cataroja! It's a pueblo (little city) just like many others in Valencia (we have many in our area as well) except for some reason (one very fuerte [strong] member) the church is super strong there. On the 15 minute train ride over, all of her planned citas [appointments] failed. So we prayed, made some quick plans, and headed out. We ended up having 5 member present lessons (knocking doors), finding two news. We also passed by a 12 year old menos active [less active] who usually scares off the Sisters... but we got along really well. (In case anyone was wondering, yes. I can sass in Spanish.) Just goes to show that when everything fails, you go forth in faith and the Lord fills in your schedule. Hermana Boyer is great, like really great. We contacted EVERYONE in the street, which doesn't seem possible but somehow worked out. She's going home this next transfer and everyone's going to miss her.

I've figured out that Hermana Terrazas and I work in wildly productive bursts of time. One day after 30 minutes of language study on a bench we went out (using Cataroja-style contacting), had 4 lessons, found two new investigators, and ran into the Bea's boyfriend (who we haven't seen since she came to church that one time. So we took down his number and will try to contact her through him). All of that in one hour before a cita with Genoveva. We call it our miracle hour.

We've been teaching Genoveva a little bit every night, and are constantly surprised by how prepared she is. She had no problems with the Law of Chastity, likes the idea of tithing and fasting, and decided to quit cold-turkey when she found out coffee was against the Word of Wisdom.
Baptisms are stressful. She was late(ish), the pianist didn't show up until half-way through (just in time for the musical number), the person baptizing her didn't bring clothes/decided to disappear for half an hour, and she slipped coming out of the fount hitting her head (a good-sized goose egg) and elbow. But when she came back, dressed in normal clothes again, she whispered "Dios esta" [God is here] to my companion. And I guess that's the most important. We sang "Families can be together forever" and she bore a beautiful half prayer- half testimony at the end. And everything was perfect.

Now that we've had our first baptism (our first baptism together and my first to contact, teach, and baptize) we realize that... there's still so much to do! There are still people to help, work, and pray for. Still so much left to do. Sometimes people call you an angel and you feel like superhuman. Other times things are hard. You try so hard but you can't succeed. You get what you wanted, but not what you need. And you feel super human. And that's the life of a missionary.

Spiritual Thought: Doctrine and Covenants 6:32 to the end. [32 Verily, verily, I say unto you, as I said unto my disciples, where two or three are gathered together in my name, as touching one thing, behold, there will I be in the midst of them—even so am I in the midst of you.

 33 Fear not to do good, my sons, for whatsoever ye sow, that shall ye also reap; therefore, if ye sow good ye shall also reap good for your reward.

 34 Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail.

 35 Behold, I do not condemn you; go your ways and sin no more; perform with soberness the work which I have commanded you.

 36 Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not.

 37 Behold the wounds which pierced my side, and also the prints of the nails in my hands and feet; be faithful, keep my commandments, and ye shall inherit the kingdom of heaven. Amen.]

So whether you feel superhuman or super human, we're all part of a little flock. You're under the watchful eye of a loving shepherd, and there's no need to fear the future, present, or past.

Love you guys!
Hermana Een

No comments:

Post a Comment